Mid-America Law Library Consortium
Executive Director (part-time)
Position Description 2017
The Executive Director of the Mid-America Law Library Consortium (MALLCO) manages the operations of the consortium on a part-time basis under the direction of the Executive Committee, consisting of the MALLCO officers (chair, vice chair, secretary, treasurer), and with input from the Board of Directors (the directors of each of the member institutions). The Executive Director represents MALLCO at professional meetings, on committees, and in other capacities as delegated by the Executive Committee. In general, the Executive Director facilitates and supports the cooperative and resource sharing endeavors of the membership through the consortium.
The Executive Director is responsible for:
- Coordinating and planning the regular meetings of the organization, including quarterly Board Meetings and monthly Executive Board Meetings in which the Executive Director serves as a member;
- Managing annual member dues;
- Managing any vendor relationships that do not fall within the MALLCO/NELLCO agreement;
- Facilitating and nurturing MALLCO Interest Groups;
- Serving as the primary communicator about MALLCO activities within the consortium and between MALLCO and related library organizations, such as consortia, AALL, and vendors; Working closely with the executive directors of NELLCO and LIPA to expand interconsortial collaboration;
- Overseeing improvements and updates to the MALLCO website;
- Managing MALLCO discussion lists, including interest group lists;
- Facilitating the creation of surveys related to MALLCO business, including editing, distributing and compiling three annual surveys and one biennial survey;
- Staying abreast of consortia library literature and activities and sharing what is learned with the board; Helping the board develop new areas of cooperation/collaboration;
- Working on projects developed in coordination with MALLCO Board of Directors;
- Timely preparation and distribution of quarterly and annual reports on MALLCO activities;
- Developing continuing education and professional development opportunities, including planning roundtables, plenary sessions, MALLCO-sponsored panels, and paper workshops for the Annual MAALL Meeting;
- Serving on the Legal Scholarship Advisory Board of LawArXiv;
- Traveling to three in-person Board Meetings (AALL, MAALL, AALS) and other relevant conferences and events per year;
- All other reasonable duties as mutually agreed upon by the parties.
- Bachelors, ALA-accredited MLS degree or JD or LLM from ABA-accredited school
- relevant academic law library experience of at least five years
- excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with a strong background in managing relationships
- successful experience with project management
- ability to initiate and work in an environment with little guidance or direction
- demonstrated ability to see the big picture but give attention to details
- appropriate technical skills
- ability to work with a large number of people at all levels and in multiple types of organizations
- ALA-accredited MLS degree
- three years of management or administrative experience, preferably in a library setting
- substantial experience chairing committees and/or serving on boards (either professional or volunteer)
- residence in the geographic region encompassed by MALLCO members (Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, North Dakota, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Wisconsin), although it is anticipated that most communication and work will be conducted technologically-based means
- a schedule which permits some consortium work to occur during normal business hours
Negotiable. Position is expected to require an average of 10 hours per week.
July 15, 2017. Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
A letter of application and resume with references should be sent via email to Search Committee Chair John Edwards at John.Edwards@drake.edu.
MALLCO Executive Director Corie Dugas will assume the full-time NELLCO Executive Director position in July. Ms. Dugas has done an excellent job in this part-time position and the board seeks to continue the successes of her tenure and those initiated by her predecessor Susan Goldner. MALLCO would like to complete the hiring process by early summer in order to provide the new Executive Director with time to work with Ms. Dugas.